Call Us CALL US TODAY | (419)732-3171
Auto Insurance AUTO

Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident.

Read More
Homeowners Insurance HOME

A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.

Read More
Business Insurance BUSINESS

Discover the perfect insurance options to meet your specific and unique needs.

Read More
Life Insurance LIFE

Browse a variety of insurance options in order to find the right one for you.

Read More
Condo Insurance CONDO

Learn about different condominium coverage options that fit your needs.

Read More
Boat Insurance BOAT

Finding insurance doesn't have to be difficult. We do the work for you.

Read More


Recently, my mother and mother-in-law teamed up to get my daughter the Motorized Disney Princess Carriage you see here.  (That's me in the background, doing something weird.  Grandpa, John, is gently guiding the girls away from all other objects.)  My first point I would like to make in my post is: never doubt America’s place on the world stage.  If we have the time and resources to design, make and purchase such ridiculous indulgences for our children, there is no other country on earth that can hope to stand against us.  I digress… How is this remotely related to insurance?  Let’s talk.

These motorized toys (aka Genuine Displays of American Awesomeness) may not be covered by your homeowners or auto insurance.  They are only covered by your auto insurance if they are scheduled on your auto policy and most insurance carriers will not schedule this type of “vehicle”.  In addition, the ISO Homeowners Policy (A generally accepted model policy for insurance companies to use) only covers this type of vehicle if used on the insured’s premises.  If used off premises, i.e. once you leave your property line whether via sidewalk, road or through the neighbors flower bed, you are no longer covered (Fortunately, the flowers weren’t that expensive.).

Why do I need coverage for one of these GDAA’s (Remember: Genuine Displays of American Awesomeness)?  There are a few situations where your kids could get you into a little bit of trouble with these.  The main problem I see is that your child instantly transforms into Evel Knievel and launches the vehicle into the road striking or being struck by a passing car.  If you are on a high traffic road or a road where the speed limit is high, this could do substantial harm to your child (Evil Knievel), your child’s friend (Awful Knofel, look it up) and the vehicle, driven by Innocent Libellant, that is struck.  Evel Knievel can get coverage under your health insurance but Awful Knofel’s parents and Innocent Libellant may decide to sue you for damages or injuries.

How do I get coverage for one of these GDAA’s?  Well, some insurance carriers provide additional language in the Homeowners Policy that reads something to the effect of: we will pay damages because of or arising out of the ownership, maintenance, use, loading or unloading of only: electrically powered vehicles designed for and used as toys.  This is great if you have an insurance company like this.  They are providing the coverage you need without charging you any additional premium!  Sweet.


If your Homeowners Insurance Company does not provide language similar to this, you will need to add coverage for Recreational Vehicle Liability.  These GDAA’s will typically fit the definition of Recreational Vehicle.  This will cost you additional premium but it won’t be exorbitant.  However, YOU HAVE TO KNOW YOU NEED THIS COVERAGE.  Call your agent and see if you need this added or not.  There are additional ways that you could pick up coverages such as a separate Recreational Vehicle policy, adding it as an auto (if the company will let you) or a company specific endorsement.


If you have any questions as to how to cover your GDAA or any other crazy vehicle you can purchase to show your support for American Awesomeness, contact the Frederick Agency today at 419-732-3171.  If you are interested in your child challenging mine in a race to prove which child can be the most Americanest in their GDAA, you can call the same number.


By: Brennan Madison

Posted 4:06 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016

View Mobile Version
© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder